Start your collegiate experience in London!
The University of Massachusetts Amherst and CAPA: The Global Education Network have partnered to bring you an opportunity to add an international dimension to your education! Through this program, designed specifically for first-year students, you will learn how to analyze and explore the dynamic global city of London and build skills and knowledge to take you throughout your academic career and beyond.
All students will be enrolled in 14 credits issued by the University of Massachusetts Amherst. These courses are instructed at a 100-level & include:
- Analyzing and Exploring the Global City London: Modernity, Empire and Globalization
- London Museums: Introduction to British Museology, Society and Culture
- Global Environmental Change
- Freshman Seminar
- Professional Development Seminar
Housing & Meals
All students will be housed in shared apartments with 2 students per room. All apartments have an en-suite bathroom, kitchenette, and bedding and linens will be provided. Within the building, there are shared social and common areas for students.
Each student will be provided with a meal plan at their accommodations. Breakfast and dinner will be provided throughout the duration of the program.
Additional Student Support
In addition to the support provided by the CAPA London Staff, a Program Assistant lives in the same building as students and provides advising, plans cultural events and activities, and offers student support.
The Program Assistant is a UMass Amherst alumnus/a who has studied abroad previously and is trained and supervised by CAPA London staff.
Returning to UMass
As an official UMass student while abroad, after your UMass first-year experience in London in the fall term, students are guaranteed on-campus housing on the UMass Amherst campus in the following spring term.
- Tuition: Earn 14 credits issued by UMass Amherst
- Housing and Meals: Students live in shared apartments within commuting distance of the CAPA London center. Breakfast and dinner are provided
- Airport transfer from London to CAPA housing
- Public Transit Pass: A Zone 1 and 2 London public transportation pass is included for use on the Underground (subway) and buses
- Health and Safety Support: Pre-departure advising by UMass Amherst International Programs staff and CAPA staff, on-site CAPA staff in London; 24-hour emergency on-call support; travel and medical insurance; CAPA Guardian App health and safety emergency management tool; arrival orientation and on-going support for student health and well-being
- Arrival services: Including a pizza dinner, orientation, local neighborhood walking tour, afternoon tea reception, and curry dinner
- Group Events: Including a mid-term dinner and departure ceremony
- Membership to Student Central: A social space and student service building provided by the University of London for all students studying in the United Kingdom
- Cultural Events and Activities: To be planned by the Program Assistant, along with access to CAPA’s My Global City cultural events and activities
- Excursions: Half-day London tour and a full-day excursion to Stonehenge and Bath
Program Cost & Contacts
Billed by UMass:
Tuition and Fees: Your UMass tuition and fees rate
London Room and Board: $8000
All financial aid will be credited towards these costs.
Estimated out-of-pocket costs:
- Airfare: $1200 (This cost is for a one-way flight, return trips will need to be booked separately)
- Textbooks & supplies: $100
- Daily lunch & personal expenses: $1200
- Laundry: $100
- Supplemental local transportation: $100
- Total: $2700